We're well into our second year of amazing FREE writing workshops at KCLS Woodinville. Coming up on Saturday, November 12, from 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM, participants will have a unique opportunity to get professional feedback on their work from this classy three-author panel:
This workshop will be FRIENDLY, POSITIVE, ANONYMOUS (for submitting writers) and CONSTRUCTIVE. Please consider taking advantage of this exciting FREE opportunity which is usually only available within expensive writing retreats and conferences. BE BRAVE!
Here are the guidelines to help you prepare.
WHAT TO BRING:
- ONE (1) copy of the FIRST PAGE of your work-in-progress, formatted as follows:
- Text should be double-spaced
- 12 point, legible font such as Times New Roman or Courier
- DO NOT PUT NAME, TITLE or other information on the page
- Picture book texts are fine, simply adhere to above restrictions
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR PAGE:
- When you arrive at the library, a number will be attached to your page and you will be given the corresponding number
- You will also be given a numbered form on which you can write your name, genre, and project title; this form will also have a box you can check if you would like written feedback
HOW THE WORKSHOP WILL RUN:
- Each page will be read aloud by one of the panelists
- This will be followed by professional feedback identifying the Best Sentence on the submitted page; the most enticing element of the page, (if applicable) thoughts on an element which perhaps feels confusing or distracting to the flow of the all-important story start, and strategies for making the page even stronger.
- All attendees will be given worksheets on which they can write notes about the pages they have heard. These worksheets will be attached to the numbered forms and may be collected by participants at the end of the session if they so choose.
We will try to get through as many pages as possible. If time allows, the workshop will conclude with some general discussion of key first page components and insights into the way agents and editors read them. If you submit your first page, you are GUARANTEED to leave this workshop excited to revise and empowered by what may be your first experience sharing your work with the professional writing world.